Tunnel Access Panels and More

Hours Worked = 2

Tonight, I riveted together all the parts of the tunnel access panels and finished their installation.

[pe2-image src=”http://lh6.ggpht.com/-O2bZXPPsWI8/UWinPU0MfcI/AAAAAAAAKEQ/zgFXRLBZ3Yw/s144-c-o/P1020435.JPG” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104915858356518723094/RV104Fuselage#5866122396377578946″ caption=”” type=”image” alt=”P1020435.JPG” ]

[pe2-image src=”http://lh6.ggpht.com/-qJnAQS32jTc/UWinMIQ9pTI/AAAAAAAAKEI/g4-r2bInWe8/s144-c-o/P1020434.JPG” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104915858356518723094/RV104Fuselage#5866122341468972338″ caption=”” type=”image” alt=”P1020434.JPG” ]

I also began bolting together the front seat bulkhead assemblies.

 

5 thoughts on “Tunnel Access Panels and More

  • June 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    Permalink

    I’m copying your plan with the tunnel access panels, but I’ll be !#$%ed if I can get a smooth countersink on the panel for the #8 screws. The hole seem to be #12, and the biggest countersink tip I have is for a #19, so the hole is wallowed out. May have to make a backing plate just for countersinking. What worked for you?

  • June 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    Permalink

    I just dimpled all the parts for the access panels. The material is too thin to countersink.

  • June 16, 2013 at 5:10 AM
    Permalink

    My initial reaction was to dimple, but then I figured I’d have to get 24 K1100 nut plates to replace the 1000’s he sent. It’s going to sound dumb, but I figured if the directions say to countersink, he must have been able to do it. Needless to say, the holes look like crap, and I’m a dumb***.

  • June 16, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    Permalink

    Now that you mention it, that’s exactly what I did. I used K1100’s instead of the supplied K1000’s. Everything sits very nice and flush. And I wouldn’t worry about a few wallowed out holes on the backing plate. It’ll be hidden by the tunnel aluminum, and it’s not structural. But dimpling worked perfectly for me.

  • June 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    Permalink

    I’m at the point of riveting the two halves together, and it seems like the rivets called out are a little short – instead of 4.5 and 5’s for the tabs, I’m using 5 and 6’s (after drilling out some pretty flat rivets…) wondered if you had the same problem.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *