I started tonight by installing nutplates on the wheel pant brackets. After that, I started working on smoothing the joint between the left pant halves. After working on that for a bit, I installed the pant on the plane and made a mark on the pant for the proper wheel clearance. I’m opening mine up a bit more than the plans call for (to 7/8″) which may cost me a tiny bit of speed, but it should also help protect me from catching the wheel on the pants on rough ground, or if the tire isn’t inflated fully.
After cutting the pant back to my mark, I mixed up some micro and smeared down a layer to help smooth the pant joint.