Finishing Aileron Actuation

Hours Worked = 3.5

This is probably the shortest section in the plans yet!

I picked up where I left off yesterday, and finished drilling out the holes on the torque tubes. Then everything got degreased and primed.

Once the primer was dry, all the parts were riveted and bolted together. Then everything was installed in the wing. I went thru the process of making sure all the parts were aligned and adjusted to their proper positions. This was really just to confirm that it’s all working correctly together, as at a minimum, I’ll need to remove the main pushrod to rivet on the bottom skin.

 P1020200.JPG P1020195.JPG P1020196.JPG P1020197.JPG P1020199.JPG P1020194.JPG

 

<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/CTp_HJC6wr8″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

4 thoughts on “Finishing Aileron Actuation

  • February 18, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    Permalink

    All these nuts and bolts and linkages….are you using any kind of LockTite or thread Locker or Safety wire? looks like a high maintenance area?

  • February 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    Permalink

    All these parts seem to be only zinc plated? What about corrosion resistance?

  • February 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    Permalink

    Most bolts have nylock nuts on them… where the nut has a piece of nylon in them that holds everything in place with friction. The most crucial connections get castellated nuts with cotter pins.

    When a crucial bolt goes into a threaded hole (with no nut) it will get safety wired.

  • February 25, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    Permalink

    The green you see is a two part epoxy primer I used called Akzo Nobel 463. It’s pretty nasty stuff, but it’s ridiculously tough, pretty much impervious to chemicals, and is what the large aerospace companies use on their stuff.

    This is all done for corrosion resistance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *