Engine Mounted

Hours Worked = 6.75

Yup. It actually happened this time!

But before I mounted it up, I figured it would be easier to finish my control cable passthrus. The plans call for just sticking a plastic bushing around your control cables where they run thru the firewall and seal it with proseal. I wanted something a little more fireproof and secure. So I went with some eyeball passthrus from Cleaveland tool. Unfortunately, I had already drilled out the stock locations, so I had to do some modification to make these fit. Basically, I widened out the outer two stock holes, and drilled a hole below them for the 3rd cable. I still have the original middle hole, but I’m going to cover that up with a sheet of stainless and some 3m Fire Barrier 2000 from the inside.

IMG_3200.JPGIMG_3201.JPG

Then it was time to get the engine installed. I still needed to get the mount “ears” bolted on the engine block, but it worked much better once I had the correct nuts. It is still a PAIN IN THE ASS to get the forward nuts tightened. I ended up using a shaved down socket with a swivel head, and it was still very tight. I think one of the sockets with the integrated swivels would have worked better, but I got the job done.

Then it was just a matter of bolting the engine on the plane. I put the rubber mounts in place and it bolted in pretty easily.

IMG_3193.JPGIMG_3196.JPGIMG_3199.JPGIMG_3195.JPG

Finally, I busted out the propeller, and started on the construction of the spinner. It’s pretty straightforward stuff, and went pretty quickly. Here are a bunch of pictures from the process:

IMG_3202.JPGIMG_3205.JPGIMG_3206.JPGIMG_3207.JPGIMG_3208.JPGIMG_3209.JPGIMG_3210.JPGIMG_3211.JPGIMG_3212.JPGIMG_3213.JPGIMG_3214.JPGIMG_3216.JPGIMG_3219.JPGIMG_3220.JPGIMG_3221.JPGIMG_3222.JPG

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *