Door blocks

Hours Worked = 2.25

Tonight, I started by fine tuning the PlaneAround angled door pins. Since the door pins have a slash cut angle at the end of them (in order to help pull the door inwards and down as the pins catch the striker blocks), the pushrods need to be sanded to just the right length. Since you thread the pins into the pushrods, wherever they bottom out determines the direction the angle of the pin points. So taking a little off at a time, I worked everything to just where I want it.

IMG_1747.JPG IMG_1748.JPG

Next, I installed the striker blocks. These are blocks that center and hold the door tight (in the fore / aft direction), and also help to catch the door pins. These blocks are also aftermarket, and included with the PlaneAround angled pins. These were pretty simple to install. I just used a scrap of door pushrod to center the blocks on the door pin holes, and match drilled them in place. After that, I just needed to sand them down a bit to make sure the door fit snugly between the fore and aft blocks, and was also centered in the correct place.

IMG_1740.JPG IMG_1741.JPG IMG_1742.JPG

Next, I began to work on the block that catches the center latch cam. But first, the bottom lip of the door opening was too tall. It was catching the cam as the door closed. So I ended up having to take the lip down about 1/4″ the length of the opening. After that, I needed to figure out where the cam block would be positioned. Ideally, you want as tight to the door as you can, but I also had to allow for room to put the door seal in. And to fit the door seal, I needed to thin out the lower lip. I needed to add material to the lower lip to get the proper gap to the door skins, but now, the entire lower lip was too thick to fit the seal on it.

To narrow the lip to the proper thickness for the McMaster seal, I whipped up a little dremel router contraption with tongue depressors that would give me the 1/4″ thickness I needed.

IMG_1745.JPG IMG_1746.JPG

Once I was able to get the seal in place, I positioned and match drilled the cam block. This also needed to be cut down a bit. I then installed the cam onto the shaft and temporarly tightened it in place with the set screw and tested the entire system with the door seal in place. It works great! With NO inward pulling on the handle, the cam pulls the door in as needed, and the door pins engage perfectly. There is still more friction in the system that I’d like, but that’s something that I’ll tweak further down the road.

IMG_1743.JPG IMG_1744.JPG

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *