Before I started the clock on time to record for the build, I put my new 8′ level to use making sure my work top was nice and flat. I was surprised how close it was with just the 4′ level, but I did have a bow over the entire length that the shorter level missed. A couple of shims, and a few tightened and loosened screws, and the surface is as good as it’s going to get!
With a good solid flat surface to build on, I got the ailerons laying flat on the edge of the table, and held them down with the level to make sure they were true. Once secured, I match drilled all the spar and rib holes top and bottom for both ailerons.
Next, I cut down some aluminum wedge for the trailing edges and match drilled them to the skins. The trailing edges are going to be formed the exact same way that the trailing edges of the rudder and elevators were done, so nothing new here.
And finally, I disassembled everything, including drilling out the rivets that were temporarily holding the bottom skins to the ribs.
On a side note, this is the 175th video for the build. I’ve been putting all of the videos into a YouTube playlist, so they can be played from beginning to end in order. However, YouTube has a maximum of 200 videos per playlist. My hope is that I’ll be able to finish in 25 more work sessions, and start a new playlist for the fuselage. I’m almost done with the ailerons, and only have the flaps to go… but we’ll see how it goes!